Well, we are a few months into the new year now and it seemed like a good time (as any) to make a note on my progress (or lack thereof).
1. Be more patient - progress not perfection right? Well, let’s hope so anyway. I wouldn’t say that I actually have been more patient this year but I can say that I’m more AWARE of my lack of patience which is a step in the right direction right? Oh shut up.
2. Write more - again, more, but not enough. Writing to me is like an Advil; I feel better after I write and when I don’t, my mind fills with crazy thoughts and it threatens to explode. And nobody wants to see that. Right?
3. Listen more - YES! I do listen more especially to my short little soldiers. I’ve found that the more I listen, and they know I’m listening to what they have to say, the more they want to share. And let me tell you, they share. A lot!
4. Read more - YES! I read constantly. But I do go in spurts. Sometimes it’s lots of books, then magazines, blogs, and newspapers. But I’m happy to report that I’m always reading something. Always.
5. Think more - This might have been a bad one to list. My mind races faster than a stock car at Talladega. This is not a problem. Sort of.
6. Love and support animals more - YES! A central theme in our home – Animals are our friends. Seriously – I love animals. Even cats.
7. Risk more - In progress but being actively engaged in dangerous things. Stay tuned.
8. Share more - YES! I’m an open book. Ask me anything. Putting yourself out there is risky (see #7) and sometimes you shoot yourself in the foot doing so, but the more we share, the more we realize that we all are in the same big boat with the same fears, desires, and tolerance of cats.
9. Be alone in silence more - Yeah, right. I have 3 kids, a wife, a dog, and fall asleep by 9pm. Does that count?
10. Do more with less. Simplify. - Ummm, no. This is #10 for a reason.
How are you doing this year so far?